Thursday, February 9, 2012

Real Life Law and Order


This past week I participated in a real life version of Law & Order. No I wasn't a detective investigating a crime, no I was not a prosecutor or defense attorney showing evidence to prove/disprove a crime. But I was a member of the jury. I have been summoned to jury duty many times but have always defferred due to school, or previously planned vacation. This is the first time I have ever participated in the complete process. I did not realize how intense and detailed the process really was.

We started out in a big waiting room of sorts, with probably 30-40 people. After waiting for what seemed like forever (probably an hour or so) they finally came in and read off about 20 peoples names. Those names were the lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) ones who got to stay and the rest were realized from jury duty. The remaining people were taken in to the court in front of the defense team and prosecutor and were asked to state various things to better identify themselves and a little bit about them. After this round of questioning we were brought back in to the waiting room and a few of the jurors (me being one of them) were called back in, one by one, to sit on the witness stand while the prosecutor and defense attorney ask you questions in order to better explain the answers you gave in a group setting. After this we were brought back into the waiting room, where we waited for them to decide who would be on the actual jury. There were 7 of us picked, again lucky or unlucky depending on your opinon in the matter. We began the jury selection at 8:15 and did not finish until about 12:30. Not to put the situation lightly but my goodness it is an intense process, I never realized how serious the business of jury picking was.

The actual trial was boring and interesting at the same time. We had to listen to a DUI case. Let me tell you, I learned more about NHTSA cues and impaired driving tests than I will probably even need to know in my lifetime. I definitely give law enforcement props for risking their lives and keeping us safe, but man the rules and speciality testing they have to learn and train for is amazing. There are 24 total NHTSA cues to look for if you are suspicious of someone driving impaired. 24! Can you imagine trying to remember all 24 cues. It just blew my mind. Sometimes I don't think Law Enforcement gets enough credit.

The second major piece of information that was testified to over and over again is the BAC levels and how blood is actually tested. My goodness what a process that is. In just one reading the criminologist had to test 43 samples of blood! 43 samples in one round, I cannot imagine doing this on a daily basis. They are very exact and precise when testing someones blood as well. Everyone who has blood drawn has 2 samples taken. Then they have a control sample, a validity sample, and a random mix sample that the lab has created in order to make sure that the machine is calibrated right and taking the right measurements. I have to admit there was much more to the criminologists testimony but the terms used were way more technical that I could understand. What an interesting experience it is, to listen to a Criminologist and take a step into her everyday work experience.

It is very intimidating to sit in a jury, with the defendant sitting across the court room, looking at you and your every emotion. It is nervewracking to have to judge the decision that someone has made, knowing that your desicion will have an impact on their life pretty strongly. Although I know the evidence and facts were overwhelmingly pointing to one verdict, it is still such a nervewracking thing. Then being in the courtroom while the verdict is read. Super intimidating.

Overall I think serving on the jury was a fun and interesting experience. It is nice to see how our judicial system works and to get a better understand of the law, more than just what I see on Law & Order. :)

2 comments:

Kylie said...

I have secretly always wanted jury duty, but I've never been summoned. :) Glad it was interesting!

Unknown said...

haha!! you are too cute Kayla! I would have dreaded jury duty!!