Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Life's About Moments and How They Affect Our Lives

So like probably about 90% of the rest of the population tonight in celebration of Valentines Day my hubby and I went to dinner and then to see the movie The Vow. The story line is a very fascinating one. Imagine being in a car accident and enduring a head trauma that caused you to loose your memory, more specifically to loose memory of a specific period of time. In this case, the main character Paige, looses the period of memory involving her current husband. She has no recollection of them meeting, marrying and spending the past together. Can you imagine your husband or wife having no recollection of you? Of your past? Of the time you have spent together? The movie is based off of true events, and I cannot even imagine this happening to me. What struck me the most though, was a line in the movie where Paige, in trying to remember her past, asks her "supposed" husband if she might have kept a journal in order to help her memory come back. His response was no, not to his recollection.

One reason why this hit me so hard was because I have been a terrible journal keeper. It is something that is highly emphasized in my church. We believe it is important to keep your history in writing, for future generations. I always thought the idea of a journal was nice, but to actually keep a journal? How boring. I mean somedays I don't feel like I do anything interesting enough to write about. While I know this specific memory loss case is probably rare, that is not the point. I keep thinking, of all the important moments, that have affected my life, I feel like I should be writing them down, for future generations to read. I mean what if by some awful circumstance I pass before my children grow, I want them to have something to remember me by. I want them to be able to go back and read this blog (which you can print out into a book by the way) and other journal entries I have written in past years, in order to get a feel of what I was like. When reading someone's writing you can definitely get a feel of their personality, everyone has a specific writing style. Just last month I went back and read all my blog posts from when I very first started, it was fun to read my moments and experiences and how they have effected my life.

This post was not meant to be a debbie downer post. It was simply my jumbled thoughts that I was trying to convey in writing. If you are not a blogger or journal writer, I encourage you to start. Whether it is scrapbooking your pictures which are your "moments" or just simply keeping a journal by your bed, or blogging for the world to read, anything counts and trust me, your future generations will greatly appreciate the chance to peek into the "moments" in your lives, because the majority of your "moments" have made an affect on your live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I have never seen The Vow I definitely understand what you mean. When I first started our blog I hardly updated it. I realized that I had started the blog for the wrong reason. I thought it was to keep my family and friends updated on what we have been doing. I realized I needed to stop writing for them and start blogging so that in the future I can look back and remember all these fun times we had. I have been a lot better about it ever since! Sorry that was a long comment!