Saturday, March 31, 2012

Being a Mom...

Baby girl and I had a pretty traumatic Wednesday... ok well maybe it wasn't that traumatic, I could be exaggerating a bit, but it was still something I did not enjoy.

Kenz has had a cough since November. Not just a cough, but a cough that gets her going so much that she often throws up because of it. We have been to the doctors, numerous times and then just keep putting her on an antibiotic, not sure why she is coughing. Luckily our insurance changed and we were able to go to a different doctors office, one we trusted. Both Kenny and I explained our concerns and her constant cough. After examining her, the doctor ordered a chest x-ray as well as blood work. This was in addition to her 3 shots for her one year check up. So off I went to do the chest x-ray and blood work. I figured I would rather do it all in one day, then have to shuffle her around multiple days.

First was the chest x-ray. That was SOOOOOO hard. I had to put her in this seat thing, and hold her arms in the air, while they stuck plastic molds around both sides of her and fastened them. Let me tell you, the instant I put her in the seat she started screaming, the kind of screaming that says "I'm scared, I don't like this, help me please.." and my heart just broke. It is so hard to watch your child go through that and be strong. All I wanted to do was cry with her, but I stayed strong for her. Constantly telling her she was ok and that it would be over soon. How hard it is to explain to a 1 year old, who has no idea what's going on, what is happening to her. Unfortunately she will have to go do another one in 2 weeks, this time her dad is taking her!

Then we went on to get her blood work done. Another thing you can't explain to a 1 year old. Such a scary experience for her I am sure. They instructed me to sit in the chair, hold her on my lap and put her in a bear hug holding one arm down. Then they called in another phlebotomist(sp?) to hold her arm while the other one stuck in the needle and took what seemed like a ridiculous amount of blood. And of course she screamed and cried and it was everything I could do to be calm and talk her through it, hoping the sound of my voice would give her some kid of comfort. Unfortunately they then put the bandaging around her arm to stop the bleeding and that made it worse. She screamed all the way to the car as she tried to peel the bandage off her arm. Broken heart mamma right here.

After all of these events, I was exhausted. Not only physically, but emotionally and all I could think about is the poor children (and parents) who have to do this on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. I am SO thankful that my daughter is healthy. I am thankful that these experiences are not an often occurrence. I could not take it. Seeing your child in pain is an emotion so hard to explain. You would give ANYTHING to switch places with them and take on the pain. I am so blessed to have a healthy child, it is something that I cherish. My heart hurts for all the children going through pain, and for the parents, knowing there is nothing you can do is probably the worst experience ever.

The test results came back and Kenz has a mild case of pneumonia and she is back on antibiotics. I am glad that we have finally found the root of her cough and hopefully we are on the road to getting rid of it.

1 comment:

Kylie said...

Poor thing. I hate when Walt has to get shots, I can't imagine bloodwork! I'm glad they figured it out, I hope she gets better soon!